Tuesday, January 15, 2013

These Shoes Are Made For Talking:Every Pair Tells A Story"



I have recently completed a new series for a show entitled, These Shoes are Made for Talking: Every Pair Tells A Story".  I was inspired after hearing Delaware Attorney General, Beau Biden, son of our vice President Joe Biden, speak about his military service in Iraq and how he had felt it was his duty as an American. As I listened to his story,  I imagined painting his combat boots, and an idea developed.
I wanted to paint people's shoes to tell their story. There is not another piece of clothing that is more personal than our shoes. We work, play, and sweat in them. They mold to our feet and you can tell how a person moves and walks and what actions they performed while wearing those shoes. A portion of the proceeds for each painting in the series will go to Soles4Souls, a Nashville-based non-profit organization that provides new and gently used shoes to those in need.
The show will run March 15, to March 20 2013 at the James Gray Gallery in Santa Monica Ca.  The reception will be Saturday, March 16 from 6:00 to 9:00.
The above image is from a ad in the January American Art Collector Magazine.

2 comments:

  1. I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . . www.womenwalkingshoes.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Calvin, I just now noticed that you commented on my post in June. Thank you for taking the time and I appreciate that you thought that the topic was interesting. It was a wonderful journey for me. It took me two years from the idea to the actual show. Best, Terry

      Delete